Air pollution increases lung cancer risk in non-smokers.

Among never-smokers with lung cancer whose level of air pollution exposure was at the highest threshold, almost three quarters were women, and 83% were of Asian descent....

Air pollution increases lung cancer risk in non-smokers.

Dr KK Aggarwal

We always wonder how come the incidence of lung cancer is increasing in our country in non-smokers in both men and women. The factor may be high indoor and outdoor air pollution. Among never smokers women are far more susceptible than men to develop lung cancer when exposed to air pollution as per Renell Myers, MD, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.

23% of lung cancer deaths worldwide are caused by indoor and outdoor air pollution. In 2013 WHO listed particulate matter of a concentration of 2.5 ug/m3 (PM2.5) as an environmental carcinogen.

The study included 681 lung cancer patients, 35% of whom had never smoked. The remaining 65% either had a history of smoking or were current smokers. 

Dr. Renelle Myers MD, FRCPC Vancouver Thoracic Interventional Respirologist UBC Clinical Assistant Professor

Dr. Renelle Myers

MD, FRCPC
Vancouver Thoracic Interventional Respirologist
UBC Clinical Assistant Professor

Photo with courtesy - https://www.vancouverthoracic.com/

Lung cancer in never-smoking females and air pollution

A significant association was found between lung cancer in never-smoking females and air pollution. No association was seen between exposure to air pollution and lung cancer in never-smoking men.

Median exposure to air pollution among all cancer patients was 7.1 PM2.5 ug/m3. However, among ever-smokers, 6.1% had a PM2.5 > 10 ug/m3, whereas more than twice that proportion, 15.1%, of never-smokers had exposure levels exceeding PM2.5 > 10 ug/m3.

Among never-smokers with lung cancer whose level of air pollution exposure was at the highest threshold, almost three quarters were women, and 83% were of Asian descent.

Dr KK Aggarwal

Padma Shri Awardee

President Elect CMAAO

President Heart Care Foundation of India

(Newsletter)

 

ज़रा हमारा यूट्यूब चैनल सब्सक्राइब करें

हस्तक्षेप से जुड़े अन्य अपडेट लगातार हासिल करने के लिए हमें
facebook फेसबुक पर फॉलो करे.
और
facebook ट्विटर पर फॉलो करे.
"हस्तक्षेप"पाठकों-मित्रों के सहयोग से संचालित होता है। छोटी सी राशि से हस्तक्षेप के संचालन में योगदान दें।
hastakshep
>