A Frenchwoman whose symptoms started out as “electric shocks” in her legs got an even bigger shock when she found out that she had a tapeworm in her spine. A 35-year-old French woman reported tingling in her legs. It turns out she had a parasite called a dog tapeworm or Echinococcus granulosus. The parasite caused enough swelling in the woman’s spine to affect her ability to walk and ride a horse.
What is Echinococcus
Echinococcus is a parasitic cestode that can infect dogs and other pets and farm animals, with humans as incidental hosts. Infection can cause cystic lesions in the liver and lungs and also in the central nervous system and bones.
French doctors reported in Thursday’s issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.