Low pollution levels can pose a health risk like diabetes
The researchers looked at the particulate matter, airborne microscopic pieces of dust, dirt, smoke, soot and liquid droplets, to evaluate air pollution. In diabetes, pollution reduces insulin production and triggers inflammation, preventing the body from converting blood glucose into energy that the body needs to maintain health.
Low-grade diabetes can cause diabetes
The Lancet Infectious Diseases : Study highlights diagnostic delays and inappropriate treatment of meningitis
Viruses are the most common cause of meningitis in adults aged 16 and older in the UK, according to new research published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal. Although generally seen as a benign condition, this new observational study shows that recovery from viral meningitis can be a long haul for patients, with many still experiencing memory and mental health problems months after they are released from hospital.
Importantly, the findings also reveal substantial delays in diagnostic testing and unnecessary treatment in hospitals across England, which are associated with longer hospital stays.
1. The median time from admission to a lumbar puncture to distinguish between bacterial and viral meningitis was 17 hours – in a quarter of patients it took more than 29 hours. Ideally, the puncture should be completed within a few hours
2. Lumbar puncture is often postponed until patients have been admitted to a ward.
3. Additional delays of several days can also occur if samples are sent to offsite laboratories for analysis.
4. Viral meningitis usually get better in a few weeks, while bacterial meningitis can kill within hours and requires urgent treatment with antibiotics.
5. Results showed that unnecessary treatment with antivirals was associated with longer hospital stays – with patients infected with viral meningitis who did not have treatment staying for an average of 3 days compared with 9 days in those treated with antivirals (because most had intravenous treatment requiring inpatient care).
6. The chances of having a pathogen detected in viral meningitis reduced by 1% for every hour delay in lumbar puncture following admission
Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee
Vice President CMAAO
(Part of the newsletter.)